Monday, January 26, 2009

How's the Planning Going?

I know all you brides-to-be be hearing this question all the time. I know I do, and I know you do too. And guess what? It doesn't bother me one bit.

After I got engaged and started stalking the internets for anything wedding related, I came across so many blogs and online discussion boards where future brides were complaining about how they are constantly harassed by this question. I didn't get it. I still don't. And as I began to think about why I feel any different, I started to realize a few things. Maybe I don't mind it because wedding planning has been pretty pleasant so far. Maybe I'm not really into full wedding-planning mode yet. Maybe I'm not even wedding planning at all. Sure, we got the church and reception hall out of the way, but besides that I'm not really stressing over the rest of the details. That doesn't mean that I haven't thought about it or played with ideas. Because I have- I promise! But, you know, we still have several months go to and things will come together wont they? Oh but don't I dare tell that to another Summer/Fall bride-to-be because according to them: "girrrrl you need to be on top of things!!!" And the more I think about it the more I realize that maybe, and most probably, wedding planning is not my life...(Yet?) Yeah, it has been a fun process so far but there are so many other things that I am enjoying and trying to take full advantage of right now - like cleaning or decorating my new home, cooking and experimenting with new recipes, doing well in school, staying healthy, and being a good fiancée!

If you ask me, I think I've done a good deal of wedding planning. In fact, I am most definitely ready to get married NOW. Because now that I think about it, the majority of my planning has really been "marriage planning", which I think is the most integral part of the wedding planning process. In my case, most of my time has been spent pondering over whether I can really be a good wife and what it takes to be so; thinking about what life will be like after Felipe and I are "Mr. & Mrs.;" wondering if I will be a good permanent "roommate" to Felipe; trying to figure out how we can still maintain a strong and loving bond as a couple without losing our individual identities; and of course having discussions about all of this with the man! Shouldn't all of this happen first before you even touch the subjects of cake toppers or what color table runners to use??

Let me tell you that I am so glad that we've had 9 months (and counting!) to mentally prepare ourselves for such a life-changing event. These past months have gone by so quickly. As distant as the next 9 months seem to be, I am positive that they will fly by just as fast. So as ready as I am to be a Mrs. right now, I'm going to savor the next nine and final months of being a fiancée. As far as I'm concerned, that's plenty of time to figure out which flowers to use in our centerpieces and choose a cake flavor. :)

Surely I am not the only one who thinks this way, right? Yay? Nay?

No comments: